July 2016 Whitson’s Parent Letter. View here
The Superintendent’s Forums for the 2016-2017 school year will be held at 6:30 pm at the following locations:
Monday, November 21, 2016 – University Elementary School
Tuesday, February 7, 2017 – Chancellor Avenue School
Wednesday, April 26, 2017 – Thurgood Marshall School
Thursday, June 1, 2017 – Irvington High School
I am the newly appointed principal of Irvington High School and I am very excited about the new school year that begins on Wednesday, September 7, 2016.
My 28-year career as an educator began a high school math teacher, math department chair and high school assistant principal in Connecticut. My recent move makes me now a full-time NJ resident which will allow me to be an involved member of the Irvington community. So I am eager to apply my experience and ideas to Irvington High School with the collaborative efforts of my administrative team, faculty, guidance and all support staff to help students achieve.
Additionally, I find it equally important that I have the support of parents/guardians and the community to help each student reach their full potential. College and career readiness is our focus and we are eager to help and guide your son/daughter in reaching their full potential. I encourage you to attend PTSA meetings, school functions and important meetings to stay informed and involved in your child’s academic life.
Below is important information to help you prepare for the 2016-17 school year:
- The First Day of School: Wed. September 7, 2016, your son/daughter will report directly to his or her designated homeroom. Homeroom assignments will be mailed in late August. It is important that your son/daughter arrive to school on time. The doors of Irvington High School open at 7:30am and close at 8:45am. Breakfast is available from 7:30am-8:15am which we encourage all students to take advantage of and which will also help with students being on time for first block. Students who arrive to school after 8:21am (the start of first block) will be marked tardy. Students are dismissed at 2:50pm.
- Mantra: “Be REAL.” We expect all students to be: Respectful, Empathetic, Achievers, and Life Learners. Please have your son/daughter memorize the mantra and understand the meaning of these expectations since they are important to their school experience and after graduation.
- Attendance: Attendance is mandatory and a critical component to the academic success of your son/daughter. Eighteen or more unexcused absences in a course will result in loss of credit regardless of a passing grade. Please provide us with a current phone number and you will be notified of all absences through an automated phone message. Tardies also impact your child’s learning, so please encourage them to be on time and ready to learn.
- Student Handbook: Please visit our school’s website to review the Irvington High School’s Student Handbook at http://irvington.k12.nj.us/schools/irvington-high-school/ This document will acquaint you with the rules and procedures that must be adhered to and will ensure your son’s/daughter’s academic success.
- School Uniforms: IHS students must adhere to the uniform policy. Students are to attend school in navy blue or white polo shirts or white button down shirts and navy blue or beige skirts or pants. Seniors only are allowed to wear black skirts, pants, or shorts. Only school logos should appear on all tops. Skirts and shorts must reach the tip of their middle fingers when arms are at their sides (no more than 2 inches above the knee). Also, students are to wear closed heel and toe shoes with a heel height of no more than 2 inches. Except for religious or health reasons, hats and scarves are not to be worn or visible.
- Identification Cards: ID cards will be issued to students during the first week of school. For security and safety reasons, these cards must be worn and visible at all times. Upon request, you must present your ID to staff and faculty.
- Electronic Devices: We recognize that you want to be able to contact your child for safety reasons but during the school day if you do need to make emergency contact with them, please call the main office at 973-399-6897. Cell phones and all other electronic devices must be out of sight and turned off before entering the building because they are disruptive to the learning process. Electronic devices will be allowed during lunch, but no videotaping or picture taking will be allowed. No charging of electronic devices will be allowed in the building especially because it is an opportunity for it to be stolen. We are not responsible for lost or stolen electronic devices.
- Lockers: Lockers will be assigned to each student within the first week of school. Sharing of lockers is not permitted.
- Open House: Wednesday, October 5, 2016, 6pm-8pm. Please save this date and make every effort to attend. It is an important evening where you will meet your child’s teachers, learn about their class expectations, and what they will learn this academic year. You will also meet other important individuals in your child’s academic life such as school counselors, administrators, and staff.
- PTSA (Parent Teacher Student Association): Our 1st meeting will be Monday, September 12, 2016, 7pm-8pm. It is very important to be involved in this association as it will keep you informed of all the exciting things happening at Irvington High School. You will also get a chance to meet the newly elected officials.
I am truly looking forward to a terrific 2016-17 school year and an opportunity to meet and speak with all of you.
Mary H. Michailidis