The following are Key Features of the English Language Arts Standards for Kindergarten through Grade 12:
Reading (Literature and Informational Texts & Foundational Skills for Kindergarten through Grade 5): Text Complexity and the growth of comprehension
- Writing: Text types, responding to reading, and research
- Speaking and Listening: Flexible communication and collaboration
- Language: Conventions, effective use, and vocabulary
- Literacy in History/Social Studies Grades 6-12
- Literacy in Science and Technical Subjects 6-12
The reading program uses a balanced literacy approach that includes the following components: read alouds, shared reading, guided reading, literature study, and independent reading. The program integrates history/social studies, science, and technical subjects. Also, it provides a wide range of informational and narrative genres in a readers’ workshop environment which includes class, small group, and individualized instruction and learning.
The writing program is implemented in a writer’s workshop environment where students learn components of good writing, use computers to research and write, and produce writing on a given topic during the writing process.
Speaking & Listening and Language are integrated in the reading and writing programs in grades K- 12.