- Visitors are not allowed entrance at any exit except for the Main Entrance located on Mt. Vernon Avenue from the hours of 8:45 am – 2:45 pm. This includes all District employees (Maintenance, Supervisors, Directors, Technology Coaches, Consultants, etc.)
- Visitors will gain admittance in the school, within 30 seconds of ringing the bell, after they have been pre-screened, to include a temperature check by the front desk security officer.
- Security guards will greet guests as follows:a. Good morning/afternoon.
b. Welcome to Rita L. Owens STEAM Academy
c. May I see a picture ID?
d. How may I assist you?
- Security Officers must verify the photo identification unless it is a known District employee. All District employees must display their District identification upon entering the building.
- Visitors will record their name, time and destination in the sign-in book located at the security desk in the front lobby. A security officer will issue a visitor pass with visitor’s name, destination, and date. All deliveries, such as lunch, must be picked up at the security desk.
- The security officer will communicate the following:
a. Please keep your pass/lanyard displayed throughout your visit.
b. Please do not visit any other location other than what your pass states. If you need to make multiple visits, please let me know now so that I can inform the main office.
c. Please wear your mask at all times and follow social distancing guidelines.
d. When you leave, please return to the security desk and return your pass/lanyard to me and sign out.
e. Enjoy your visit.
7. Security will inform office staff via radio that a visitor is on her /his way to the main office or nurse’s station and the purpose of their visit. The office staff will respond.
8. Security will observe as the visitor enters the office.
9. Office staff will greet the visitor within 30 seconds of arrival.
a.Good morning/afternoon. How may I help you?
10. If the visitor requests to interact with staff or students, office staff will confirm the visitor’s identity in Power School. *If the visitor is not documented in Power School, the visit or removal of students will not be allowed.
Types of visits:
Meeting with a teacher – The teacher will confirm the appointment and the teacher will meet the visitor in the guidance counselor’s conference room or available office.
Visit the class – The teacher will confirm the appointment and office staff will wait for a security guard to escort the visitor to the requested class. The teacher will call for security to escort the visitor back to the main office or security desk at the conclusion of the class visit. If this is a surprise visit for the student, the visitor must be escorted by an administrator.
Meet with a student – Meet with a student – Office staff will ask about the nature of the visit and call the teacher to send the student to the office with a pass.
Outside agency request to visit or sign out student – ID must be produced and copied. Contact the administrator for permission to proceed.
Sign a student out – The office staff will confirm the visitor, inform the teacher, and request security to escort the student to the Main Office for dismissal. The visitor must sign the student out in the Student Sign Out book.
11. The point of contact will be responsible for the visitor for the duration of the meeting. At the end of the visit, the point of contact will accompany or request for security to escort the visitor to the front desk. The visitor is required to return the pass, sign out at the front desk, and exit through the main entrance.
12. If visitors are ever unaccompanied in the halls, a security guard must ask the following:
– Good morning/afternoon. How may I help you?
– Please wait while I confirm with the office.
– Security will inquire via walkie-talkie and make sure that the visitor remains with her/him.
– If the visit is confirmed, the security guard will escort the visitor to her/his destination.
– If the visit is not confirmed, the security guard will escort the visitor from the building.
13. Should there be a fire or any other emergency or drill, the point of contact will accompany the visitor in executing the requirements of the school’s emergency protocols. Visitors must adhere to all emergency drills as followed by the school.
14. Parents/Guardians who wish to observe a class must make prior arrangements with the teacher who will seek approval from the Principal. A 24-hour notice is requested prior to the requested visit.
15. There will be no visitor–teacher conference during instructional time. A copy of a teacher’s schedule is available upon request from the main office.
16. Visitors who do not comply with the school and/or district visitor policy may be subject to removal from school grounds.