Thurgood Marshall School is a PreK-5 school located at 141-181 Montgomery Avenue in the township of Irvington, New Jersey. The school currently accommodates 425 scholars and has 41 diversified and highly qualified instructional staff; as well as an outstanding supplementary team.
Thurgood Marshall School is dedicated to providing a safe and multicultural environment. The academic, social, and emotional development of each individual is realized through the collective efforts of scholars, staff, parents and community. Working together as an academic community, we strive to achieve excellence in all facets of education.
At Thurgood Marshall we recognize that students need learning experiences which meet them where they are, engage them deeply, let them progress at a pace that meets their individual needs and helps them master the skills for today and tomorrow. It is our belief that when children are met with such learning experiences, it facilitates successful learners who are able to explore their environment through education.
Thurgood Marshall is dedicated to providing all scholars with a high standard of learning. In our quest to do so we offer our students the following:
- Certified and highly qualified teachers, specialists, and paraprofessionals.
- Curriculum and Instruction that is research-based and aligned to the NJ Student Learning Standards (NJSLS).
- Technology is infused into the curriculum; Mathematics (My Math) English Language Arts (Reading Wonders, Read 180, and System44), Science (PSI) and Social Studies.
- Computers are in every class with Internet accessibility, as well as interactive SmartBoards, SmartTables and Chromebooks for 1st through 5th grade.
- Pre-Kindergarten for ages 3 and 4. Our school offers a preschool Gold Curriculum program with certified teachers. The Gold Curriculum program is a comprehensive program that provides labs and projects that reinforce learning, self-confidence and self-direction. An appreciation for Visual Arts, Music, World Languages as well as the necessary Mathematics, Science, Social Studies and English Language Arts are also provided through this program.
- Autistic Program, servicing scholars from grades K-5. Our program is so outstanding that we had to restructure to include two additional classrooms.
- Special Education Inclusion in each grade level for scholars who require additional educational support.
- Assessments– We meet NJSLS through assessments such as, PARCC, Reading Inventory, Math Inventory, Phonics Inventory, benchmarks, teacher-made assessments, work sampling, portfolios, weekly content area tests, and district cycle and unit tests.
- Data is used to drive instruction-The staff analyses data from various informal and formal assessments in order to inform and drive instruction.
Thurgood Marshall Elementary School’s extended day and year offer:
- Wraparound Program, which gives preschool, parents the opportunity to extend the day with this program, designed to wrap-around the pre-schoolers day, which begins at 7:00 am and ends at 6:00 pm.
- Scholars in grades K-5 can extend the day by attending, PARCC Tutorial, Homework Club (Grades 1-2), Basic Skills Enrichment Program, ESL Program, Student Council, Positive Behaviour Support in School Advisory, Band, National Honour Society, and EOY Summer Program for scholars with special needs.
Greater, effective communication with parents, teachers and the community through:
- The Parent Coordinator who, works with scholars, teachers, parents, and administrators by implementing programs like the Back Pack program, Kids Closet Program, the Community Food Bank of Hillside by accessing services that provide food, supplies, and family assistance. Furthermore, open communication is encouraged with monthly Positive Parent Conversations and Workshops.
- The Parent Teacher Association (PTA) enables parents to become an integral part of their child’s education in collaboration with teachers and other community stakeholders.
- The School Leadership Council (SLC) comprised of faculty members and parents meet monthly to discuss important aspects of the academic and social growth of the school, budget issues, and numerous school-related matters.
We are committed to:
- A comprehensive educational program that builds on sound learning experiences that will generate passionate lifelong, self-directed learners.
- An instructional program that accelerates learning for all scholars and builds on strengths and interests of each one.
- A variety of teaching methods are used to ensure differentiation of instruction. A quality learning experience will ensure them to be productive and socially responsible citizens of the world. As we look Thurgood Marshall School family is committed to developing scholars who are independent and successful learners. Scholars who are confident and creative individuals with a desire to achieve excellence in all areas of education in their lives.
- Delivering quality instruction on a daily basis. We will continue to aggressively prepare our scholars for a better future. At Thurgood Marshall we are in receipt of many accolades for our dedication to our scholars and their education, we strive for excellence.
- Celebrating “SUCCESS”, by initiating ceremonies and practices that recognize scholars, parents, and staff for their outstanding accomplishments
Through our collaborative effort as educators, parents, stakeholders and scholars we have built a multicultural environment. This environment is composed of the academic, social and emotional development of each scholar.