Parental Involvement Policy
Thurgood Marshall Principal: Ms. Stacey Love
Thurgood Marshall Parent Coordinator: Cindy Clark 973-399-6800 Ext 2219
District Family Community Advocate: Ms. Patricia Wilson 973-399-6800 Ext 1115
- Be offered monthly workshops hosted by the Parent Coordinator that will focus on academics, social development, conflict resolution, and active parenting.
- Have the opportunity to attend a presentation on assessment data at the November PTA meeting.
- Be invited to participate as voting members on the School Leadership Council and School Safety Team.
- Receive quarterly progress reports and communication (telephone, e-mail, conferences, and letters) from teachers regarding their child’s academic progress.
- Receive a monthly school calendar and get information related to school events, including meetings, in multiple formats including e-mail, Twitter, and phone blasts.
- Receive training and a password for the Parent Portal in order to monitor the academic progress of their child(ren) and communicate more effectively with teachers.
- Have the opportunity to visit their child’s classroom to observe academic performance with 24 hours’ notice to the school principal.
- Have materials and resources made available to them that promote and support collaboration between the school and families.
- Work with the school staff to plan activities and celebrations that highlight the diversity of Thurgood’s scholars and strengthen the relationship between parents and staff members.
- Receive at least 2 school-generated newsletters offering a synopsis of what the students will be learning, how they will be assessed, what they should expect from their child’s teacher and how they can make a difference in their child’s education.