CHROMEBOOK LOAN LETTER: Irvington Public Schools Distance Learning Portal
Dear Parents/Guardians and Students,
Thank you everyone who completed the Digital Learning Survey; the information helps the district understand the digital learning capabilities in your homes. In collaboration with administrators, the district Technology Department has developed a plan for distributing Chromebooks to students who do not have sufficient access to an Internet-connected computer in their home. The virtual learning endeavor will begin on May 4, 2020.
Our goal is to ensure that each student has an Internet-connected computer that enables digital learning in the home. If there are multiple students living in the home, families with three or more children, will be provided 2 computers so that they can complete digital school assignments without undue stress on families. However, please note, you must retrieve the Chromebook from the location where each child attends i.e. two children attends Mt. Vernon, one attends Union, you must go to each location.
Furthermore, the Irvington Public School District will be providing district-owned Chromebooks to those students who have qualified for free or reduced lunch, who need them to complete their school work during the district’s extended closure. Please be aware that a Chromebook requires Wi-Fi connectivity. If your child needs a Chromebook but you do not have Wi-Fi at home, we will make every reasonable effort to provide you the information regarding the resources available to assist you with this challenge. Please visit the district website, irvington.k12.nj.us or call the tech helpline number 973-399-6808.
Chromebooks will be distributed in the following way:
- Chromebooks should be picked up at the student’s school. Devices for multiple students who live in the same household can all be picked up at the school of the oldest student. Those families with 3 or more Irvington students, may borrow 2 Chromebooks.
- For students in K through Grade 8, parents or legal guardians must pick up the device.
- Students in grades 9 to 12 can present their Irvington Student ID or government-issued photo ID (passport, driver’s license) and pick up their device (This does not preclude the students presenting a signed permission slip).
Please note that parents, guardians, and siblings picking up devices must be listed in the district’s PowerSchool database.
Pick up days and times at district schools:
- Thursday, April 30th from 8:30 AM to 12:00 PM and from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
- Friday, May 1st from 8:30 AM to 12:00 PM only.
Pickup Locations (there will be signs at the appropriate door indicating Chromebook pick up): Devices can be retrieved from child’s school.
Please know that we are here for you and hope this supplementation assists in our goal to support your child’s new adjustment to virtual learning.
Dr. April Vauss
Dr. April Vauss
Interim Superintendent of Schools