Welcome to another tremendously exciting school year at Irvington High School, home of the BLUE KNIGHTS! Our motto for the 2019-20 school year is “The Pursuit of Excellence.” I am proud and elated to serve as the Principal of Irvington High School. As principal, I look forward to service through an innovative school community. As a community of administrators, teachers, staff, and parents, we will continue to provide the best educational experience for our students.
Irvington High School continues to close the achievement gap and focus on academic and cultural excellence. A few examples include:
- The Consumer Bowl Team members are the 2019 State Champions
- Eighteen (18) students received full athletic scholarships (ranked number 1 for student athletes receiving scholarships among NJ public schools) in the past three years.
- We are also among thirty-nine school districts out of 373 in the United States and Canada honored by the College Board with placement on the 9th Annual AP District Honor Roll. This award acknowledges the continued focus of meeting the needs of our diverse student population and providing them with rigorous, standards based instruction while recognizing students’ individual needs.
- Our very own Irvington High School Cosmetology Academy is contributing to the growth of the billion-dollar beauty industry one senior class at a time. This rigorous Career Technical Education (CTE) training, under the guidance of a state licensed industry professional, provides students with the essential skills needed to obtain a New Jersey State Cosmetology License upon graduation in the areas of cosmetology, barbering, makeup artistry and aesthetics upon graduation. In the 2018-19 school year, a 5-week hands on barbering training program was introduced into the cosmetology curriculum.
- Our Junior Reserve Officer Training Corp (JROTC) continues to be recognized throughout the State. The program received accolades from the governor of NJ, US Senators, and the City of Irvington. All 43 graduates of the Class of 2019 are currently attending college/universities or serving in the military. Our JROTC seniors have amassed a million dollars in scholarship monies.
- In partnership with Pillar College, Irvington High School offers dual enrollment. This sequence of study permits students to pursue a baccalaureate or associate degree and provides a strong and comprehensive link between IHS and post-secondary educational institutions.
The above noted accomplishments are a direct result of the hard work of our outstanding students, expert and dedicated staff of caring professionals, active and involved parents, and a supportive community.
The administration, teachers, staff, students and parents of Irvington High School will continue to work as a team to maintain a “culture of learning” where every student feels safe, supported and valued in an environment of respect. We will continue to raise our goals and expectations for both the academic and career and technical programs. Some of our goals include the implementation of more efficient instructional strategies to increase student achievement. This year we will introduce a new college dual enrollment program as well as new sports programs.
As a BLUE KNIGHT Family, we will continue to find new ways to reach academic greatness as we inspire our scholars to believe in the possible.
Ogé Denis, Jr.