Hello Irvington Family,
This page will serve as the official Irvington Public School information update portal. Thank you for cooperating with our efforts to assist in keeping everyone informed and safe from this growing pandemic. All new information regarding this matter will be updated here.
More information about COVID-19 can be found at: 24-Hour Public Hotline 1-800-222-1222
AS OF 4/7/2020 – 6:38 pm EST:
- Lessons Taught by New Jersey Teachers
Classroom lessons in English language arts, mathematics, social studies, science, art, music and physical education will be taught by New Jersey teachers for students in grades 3-6 on NJTV (New Jersey Public Access Channel) starting April 6, 2020. The classroom lesson schedule is listed below:
Grade 3-9:00 am
Grade 4-10:00 am
Grade 5-11:00 am
Grade 6-12:00 noon
- Garden State Teachers to Give Lessons on New Jersey Public Television [PDF]
- Below are the channels for NJTV:Time Warner 1223
Comcast 261, 800
Verizon 23, 523
Dish Network 58, 8113
AS OF 3/25/2020 – 1:12 pm EST:
- The Governor has mandated the closing of all New Jersey schools. As a result, the Irvington Public Schools will be closed until further notice. Parents are encouraged to contact their child’s principal with any questions or concerns. The work that was previously given to students designed to be sufficient through April 3, 2020. District staff members are compiling additional work and parents will receive a call with information regarding how students can retrieve the additional work.
AS OF 3/23/2020 – 2:20 pm EST:
AS OF 3/23/2020 – 8:30 pm EST:
- The President of the United States has suspended all standardized testing for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Breakfast and lunch bags will continue to be distributed from 8:30 a.m. to 11: 30 a.m. at each of our schools.
AS OF 3/20/2020 – 12:10 pm EST:
AS OF 3/18/2020 – 3:26 pm EST:
- The breakfast and lunch distribution time has been extended. The new hours are 8:30 am to
11:30 am. Breakfast and lunch bags can be picked up from any of our schools during this time frame
- Parents please remind your children to complete the work that was assigned to them. Extra credit will be given to K to 8 students who complete both the ELA and math on-line work and the packet of work
- There is on-line support for students classified as special education and English language learners. The telephone numbers for support services can be found under the student and parent tabs on the website
AS OF 3/16/2020 – 8:06 pm EST:
- Governor Murphy has announced a curfew for New Jersey daily from 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.
- The Board of Education meeting scheduled for March 18, 2020 has been changed from 7:30 pm to 4:00 p.m.. The meeting is closed to the public. Stakeholders may join the meeting virtually by visiting irvington.k12.nj.us
AS OF 3/16/2020 – 3:26 pm EST:
- Breakfast and lunch bags will be distributed at each school from 8:30 am to 11:00am starting on Wednesday, March 18, 2020
- Students have been provided with three weeks of work packets. Parents are asked to ensure that students work 4 hours per day in order to receive credit toward the 180-day requirement for school. Phone numbers are available for ESL, special education and technical support under the student link tab on the website.
- Students can access on-line assignments using the student link on the district’s website
- The Board of Education meeting scheduled for March 18, 2020 at 7:30 p.m. is closed to the public. Please visit our website to join the meeting virtually.
AS OF 3/14/2020 – 9:30 am EST:
- Students will have a 12:30 p.m. dismissal on Monday, March 16, 2020.
- Schools will be closed to protect against the spread of the Coronavirus from Tuesday, March 17, 2020 through Friday, March 27, 2020. It is anticipated that schools will re-open on Monday, March 30, 2020.
- Breakfast and lunch bags will be available to all Irvington students, regardless of lunch status, starting on Wednesday, March 18, 2020. Students can pick up meals at their school between 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Students must complete work packets or on-line iReady work during the two weeks that schools will be closed in order to receive credit for each day. All work must be returned to the appropriate core subject teacher on March 30, 2020. Students are expected to work a minimum of 4 hours per day (1 hour and 30 minutes of ELA, 1 hour and 30 minutes of math, 30 minutes of science and 30 minutes of social studies).
- Students are encouraged to remain at home during this school closing period.
AS OF 3/13/2020 – 9:24 am EST:
Public Schools is cancelling all scrimmages for our athletic teams for the month of March. The start of the regular season for our spring sports teams is April 1st. The Irvington Board of Education will evaluate if additional athletic contests need to be cancelled prior to the start of the regular season.
AS OF 3/12/2020 – 1:33 pm EST:
- The ESL adult evening program at Irvington High School has been cancelled until further notice.
- The SAT scheduled for March 14, 2020 at Irvington High School has been cancelled.
AS OF 3/12/2020 – 11:36 am EST:
- Increased daily cleaning protocols are in place for high touch surfaces. Bio-Shine, the district’s vendor for cleaning supplies, recommends the use of BruTab 6S to clean surfaces. The district currently uses this chemical to clean the schools. A deep cleaning of high touch surface areas will occur every weekend until further notice.
- Hand sanitizers have been ordered for every classroom in the district.
- The district nurses are providing training to students in regards to covering their cough and sneezes with tissue or their elbow and regularly washing their hands for a minimum of 20 seconds. All training will be complete by March 16, 2020.
- The District will remain in constant contact with the Irvington Health Department to obtain current and accurate information. The Director of the Health Department will contact the district as needed to advise of any Irvington students or staff who have been placed under quarantine. An individual returning to the district after being quarantined will present a monitoring agreement letter that includes the date the quarantine concluded. The district is not permitted to screen staff or students to determine a COVID-19 diagnosis.
- Staff members or students who have a fever, cough, or difficulty breathing will be sent home and requested to seek medical attention.
- Emergency communication systems (School Messenger and telephone system) have been tested for emergency readiness.
- The District has developed a plan with our food vendor to ensure that we provide breakfast and lunch to ALL students in the case of an emergency school closing. Students would report to their home school between 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. and receive both breakfast and lunch bags in a Grab and Go.
- All field trips for the month of March will be cancelled.
- All out of district workshops for staff for the month of March will be cancelled.
- Spectators will not be permitted to attend district athletic events until further notice.
Students and staff must stay home when they are sick. If a student exhibits illness or COVID-19 related symptoms, the school nurse will contact a parent or guardian to come pick him/her up immediately and seek medical attention. Staff members exhibiting the same symptoms will be immediately sent home and asked to seek medical attention. We recognize how challenging this situation is for our families, students, and staff, and we take this situation seriously. We are taking real-time preventative measures in response to new information that key agencies provide. Our goal is to prioritize the health and safety of our students and staff. Thank you for working with us through this evolving situation that impacts all facets of life in our entire community. We will continue to provide you with regular updates on this page.