VISITOR POLICY & SECURITY PROCEDURES
It is imperative that in order to avoid many emergency situations all community members, staff, students, and parents who enter the building must follow the visitors’ policy below:
- Visitors are not allowed entrance at any exit except for the Main Entrance . This includes all District employees (Maintenance, Supervisors, Directors, Technology Coaches, Consultants, etc.)
- After visitors ring the bell, security will allow admittance into the building.
- Security guards will greet guests as follows:
a. Good morning/afternoon.
b. Welcome to Irvington High School
c. Please place your belongings on the table for a security check
- The interior of all bags will be checked.
- Items of concern will be brought to the attention of the Head Security Guard, Principal or designee.
- Illegal drugs or items considered as a weapon will be given to the SRO. The SRO will determine further action.
d. May I see a picture ID?
e. How may I assist you?
4. Visitors will record their name, time and destination in the sign-in book located at the security desk in the front lobby.
5. The security guard will communicate the following:
– Please keep your pass displayed throughout your visit.
– When you leave, please return to the security desk and return your pass to me and sign out.
– Please report to the Main Office.
– Enjoy your visit
6. Security will inform the office staff that a visitor is on his/her way to the main office.
7. Office staff will respond.
8. Security will observe as the visitor enters the office.
9. Office staff will greet the visitor within 30 seconds of arrival.
a. Good morning/afternoon. How may I help you?
10. If the visitor requests to interact with staff or students, office staff will confirm the visitor’s identity in Power School. *If the visitor is not documented in Power School, the visit or removal of students will not be allowed.
Types of visits:
Meeting with a teacher – The teacher will confirm the appointment and the teacher will meet the visitor in the guidance counselor’s conference room or available office.
Visit the class – The teacher will confirm the appointment and office staff will wait for a security guard to escort the visitor to the requested class. The teacher will call for security to escort the visitor back to the main office or security desk at the conclusion of the class visit. If this is a surprise visit for the student, the visitor must be escorted by an administrator.
Meet with a student – Meet with a student – Office staff will ask about the nature of the visit and call the teacher to send the student to the office with a pass.
Outside agency request to visit or sign out student – ID must be produced and copied. Contact administrator for permission to proceed.
Sign a student out – The office staff will confirm the visitor, inform the teacher, and request security to escort the student to the Main Office for dismissal. The visitor must sign the student out in the Student Sign Out book.
11. If visitors are ever unaccompanied in the halls, a securi guard must ask the following:
– Good morning/afternoon. How may I help you?
– Please wait while I confirm with the office.
– Security will inquire via walkie-talkie and make sure that the visitor remains with her/him.
– If the visit is confirmed, the security guard will escort the visitor to her/his destination.
– If the visit is not confirmed, the security guard will escort the visitor from the building.
12. When the visitor leaves, he/she must report to the security desk to sign out and return the visitor’s pass.
13. Should there be a fire or any other emergency or drill, the point of contact will accompany the visitor in executing the requirements of the school’s protocol.
14. Parents/Guardians who desire to observe a class must speak with the Principal to arrange an appointment 24 hours prior to the visit.
15. There will be no visitor-teacher conference during instructional time. A copy of a teacher’s schedule is available upon request from the Main Office.