I hope that you and your families are well. As you know, we have experienced very difficult and challenging times the past 12 months. I applaud you and your children for enduring and persevering through the remote learning period. It is imperative for me to announce that we are now moving forward to a Hybrid Schedule whereby the school’s student population is divided into two groups: Blue and Yellow. The Blue Cohort will come to the school building on Mondays and Tuesdays, while the Yellow Cohort will come on Thursdays and Fridays. Blue or Yellow Cohort will be written in parentheses next to your child’s name above in order to indicate his or her Cohort group.
Wednesdays will be a remote learning instruction day in order to allow the custodial staff to thoroughly clean the building. To this end, everyone will stay home on Wednesdays for remote learning instruction (assignments and pre-recorded instruction). Also note, that the group that stays home will receive the same live lesson remotely as the group that is physically inside the building. Enclosed is the new Hybrid schedule, which begins on April 19, 2021 and it will also be shared on the Union Avenue Middle Website as well as Class Dojo.
The Hybrid Bell Schedule outlines the periods and time for each school period from April 19, 2021 to June 25, 2021. Additionally, you are being informed in this letter if your child belongs in the Blue Cohort or the Yellow Cohort. The Hybrid Bell Schedule and the Blue and Yellow Groups depiction will be posted on the Union Avenue Middle School Website, ClassDojo and on each teacher’s Google Classroom page. Unless noted, your child will have the same teachers. He or she will need to follow the new Hybrid Schedule as of April 19, 2021.
The pandemic has necessitated certain changes to maximize the well-being and safety of all members of the school community. To this end, we encourage every parent or guardian to adhere to the following:
- Your child should not arrive at school before 8:20 am and no later than 8:30 am.
- Your child will receive a grab and go breakfast to be eaten in his or her classroom.
- Your child will be given a grab and go lunch at dismissal.
- Your child must strictly follow the Blue or Yellow Cohort designation.
- Your child must come to the school wearing a MASK.
- All adults and children must wear masks inside the building.
- Please have your child in uniform daily.
- All boys must enter the building at the Rutgers Street Entrance (#3).
- All girls must enter the building at the Main Entrance on Union Avenue (#2).
- All students must go directly home immediately at dismissal. They should not go to the park adjacent to the school.
- Please have your child charge his or her Chromebook each night. All students must come to school with their computers (Chromebooks) on their assigned days.
- Please encourage your child to bring a plastic bottle of water that can be refilled at the Water Fillers. Water fountains will not be operational.
- Please review the enclosed Hybrid Schedule, which will begin on April 19, 2021.
On the behalf of the Union Avenue Middle School staff and faculty, I look forward to welcoming back our scholars. It is indeed challenging times, and I count on working with you in order for the success of our scholars and school.
Thank you for your attention.